Prep: 15 min.
Cook: 20 - 24 min.
Total: 35 - 40 min.
4 servings or 8 biscuits
2 cups Magdalena’s Breakfast Blend
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup milk
1/2 cup corn starch (for kneading)
1. Heat oven to 400˚F. Line a 13” x 18” baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add Magdalena’s Breakfast Blend and shortening to a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut the shortening into the dry mix until the mixture resembles fine crumbles.
3. Stir in the milk until combined. Let the dough rest for 2 minutes allowing the dough to absorb the milk.
4. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cornstarch in a 10-inch diameter circle on a flat, dry surface. Place the dough in the middle of the circle and sprinkle 1/4 of the cornstarch on top of the dough. Knead the dough and continue to add the remaining cornstarch, as needed, until the dough is no longer tacky. Pat down or roll the dough to a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut 8 biscuits with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and let them rest for 12 minutes.
5. Place the biscuits on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Note: This dough freezes well. To freeze, follow steps 2 through 4. Put parchment paper on the bottom of a container and place the biscuits on top. Separate layers of biscuits with parchment paper. To bake biscuits from frozen, follow steps 1 and 5. Bake for 22-24 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.